New Year, New Season, New Moves?!
For the past couple of months, I’ve been hashtaging #NewSeason #NewMoves, but what does this really mean? New Season, New Moves?
It means, the old way of being, existing and going about life cannot be maintained or taken into 2017, ‘IF’ you desire to see the “new thing” (Isaiah 43:19) that God is trying to do in your love-life, your work-life or in your spiritual-life.
As you look to the New Year, it’s a great time to check your desires and values, and then, to cross-reference if your actions and efforts convey what you truly believe and want.
The truth is if you are a believer in Christ you have been incarnated (fancy word for embodied and empowered by God’s Spirit) to BE a new woman or man in Christ.
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” ~2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV
Basically, you are not left on your own to BE-come the new woman or man God created you to be. Does that make sense? God essentially partners with you (in your inner and outer life, sending people, angels, resources and signs) to help you achieve the unachievable, to accomplish the unbelievable and to do the impossible.
That’s why the Apostle Paul proclaimed…
“I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” ~Philippians 4:13 NIV
Paul knew that he was NOT ALONE in the day-to-day doings of his life. It’s the same for you! You have been gifted the strength to do the incredible, impactful, worthwhile things of God, including being your authentic self.
Note this: If it’s possible or doable in your own strength, then it may not be God’s handiwork. Just food for thought.
Okay! So, what if you’re not a BELIEVER?
Well, guess what? If you’re not a believer in Christ, you can “will yourself” into doing new routines, new habits, and creating new systematic ways of being that will ultimately result in the “new thing” that you desire. However, it probably won’t be sustainable overtime or fulfilling. Human beings thrive on doing fulfilling work, work that serves a higher purpose.
Eventually, you’ll find yourself asking, ‘Is this worthwhile?’
That’s why I wanted to create this checklist for those of you who are serious about KILLING 2017! Believer and non-believer, before you race into the New Year, consider this list. It has the potential to help you think clearer or be realer with yourself, God and others?
Whatever comes of it, don’t forget to share your thoughts after you read the…
11 Things to Check Before You Enter the New Year
1. Attitude: Are you hard to friend, love or just say hello to? If so, why? Consistently being attitudinal or unapproachable isn’t attractive. If you desire love, a successful business or well rounded life, chuck the bad attitude. Do your best to address the source of your contention and at a minimum, smile more.
2. Faith (religious): Who or what do you believe? Don’t get in tune with a form of faith for your Baptist grandmother or because you want to seem like a “good person” –take time to check your faith. On the solid rock I stand (Psalm 40:2)! Now, who or what are you standing on, and why?
3. Mirror: When’s the last time you stood in front of a mirror to confront thyself? Naked works! That way you can see who you’re trying to give to another (you know what I mean). I didn’t take this exercise seriously until I was in my early 30’s (thanks to an ex who adamantly encouraged me to do it). Don’t wait! Check your goods! And, while you’re staring into your own eyes, give body shame a blow by saying something compassionate and loving to yourself.
4. Love: Where are you at with this LOVE thing? Do you believe in love? When’s the last time you gave love away? Do you know how to receive love? This is a huge commandment! Jesus basically said, “Love, Love, Love.” (Mark 12:33). All I can say is if you struggle with love pray, therapy, counsel, coach, kick your way back to love! It’s that important and necessary for a healthy, whole life.
5. Mindset: What’s going on in that mind of yours? Who or what are you meditating on? Healthy or harmful thoughts? Do you believe God is with you or far, far away from you? Maybe, deep down inside you don’t believe God is real, and your dreams are a waste of time? How you think about God, yourself, and your history impacts the choices you make. Your mind has to see it before it happens. Joyce Meyer’s, Battlefield of the Mind is a good read to overcome mental barriers.
6. Actions: Who or what are you showing up for? Do you show up for you? What’s more natural for you, helping others achieve their goals or working towards your own goals? Know this: Your actions reveal who and what’s in your heart (Proverbs 4:23). Access your movements.
7. Energy: How’s your energy level? Do you need an energy drink to keep you going or does exercising help you stay energized? Are you most productive during the day, afternoon or evening? I know this is common knowledge, but you need energy to show up and show out in any area of your life. Oh! And, your energy or lack there of can be felt by others, so check it!
8. Health: How’s your medical sit-chhu-a-tion? I just don’t get having medical benefits and not using them. I’ll leave that right there.
9. Email: Get up from under that load of email that doesn’t matter and isn’t contributing to your personal, professional or spiritual life. UNSUBSCRIBE as much as possible and organize your email, so you don’t miss out on the good stuff!
10. Closet: Have you lost or gained weight or grown spiritually in the past few years? If so, your closet could use some sprucing up to represent who you are, today. Get rid of the apparel, accessories and shoes that turn your stomach, and replace them with pieces that bring out the best in you. FYI: You can sell your old stuff to make way for the new stuff! CLICK HERE for more details.
11. Money: What’s your relationship with money? Are you overly comfortable with the word BROKE or do you speak positively about your financial life and future? Are you sitting on the gifts you were given or are you being a good steward? Check how you flow and converse about money. If you’re interested, Tonya Rapley of www.myfabfinance.com has a free financial checkup that you can download.
Did this list speak to you in anyway? I’d love to hear your thoughts, don’t forget to comment below.
P.S. If you need help chucking that bad attitude or your limiting beliefs, [ December 26-30 ], I’ll be hosting a FREE 5-Day ‘Lay Aside Every Weight’ Fasting & Prayer Challenge. It’s time to move differently, free from whatever’s weighing you down! CLICK HERE to join the hundreds of women who refuse to do 2017 the same!