You ever been in a season when nothing seems to be going right?
Like a friend said, “Beyoncé and Jay-Z could be at your event, and you still can’t get one person to show up?!” How about in your love life? For the life of you, you can’t get a date? Your pretty or personality isn’t drawing any interest.
When you’re experiencing a dry spell, here are some internal thoughts or questions that may come to mind. How is this possible? What am I doing wrong? Why me? Why not me? It must not be meant to be.
In the natural, you’re trying to find a rational and tangible explanation for the drought you’re experiencing. You desperately want answers for the slamming of doors in your face.
If anything I’ve mentioned thus far is speaking to your current situation, I would like you to consider this. Could God be trying to move you in a new direction or isolate you, so you can hear from on high?
I love the Scripture, Isaiah 43:19. Years ago, it helped to pull me through some uncertain days…
“Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.” (KJV)
The New International Version of Isaiah 43:19, reads this way, “See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?” Let’s be honest though, oftentimes, I’m finding in my life and in the lives of many of the women I coach and speak to, it can be difficult to see, perceive, BEHOLD or surrender to the new thing.
It could be due to our stubbornness, self-doubt or perhaps God is limiting our vision in order to build our faith, and reliance on Him?
As I enter into a new spiritual level, and the fourth quarter of 2017, I most certainly was thinking maybe this is a good time to “DO THE NEW THING?!” Since nothing seems to be going right, I was ready to drop the old things, and start up a new thing. Then, I received a word: “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” (John 21:6 NIV)
What I heard God saying is this, “I will help you do the new thing!”
In the past few weeks, God has revealed to me that I must hold on despite my inability to see the new thing, and lean on Him for the “precise” direction.
While you are praying and wondering what to do next in this peculiar season, I offer these five points for your consideration.
5 Things to Do When Nothing Seems to Be Going Right
- Wait for direction from God. The word wait here is packed with expectation. Instead of doubting, or moving hastily because you don’t see the promise, be hopeful and committed. Work the last thing God told you to work, while you expect God to show up with the new thing.
“Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.” ~Psalm 27:14 KJV
- Rest in God’s presence. Be still and know God. God already knows you, but do you know God, for yourself? When you carve out time to be still, and seek God, you get to know God and in that still space, you’ll be revitalized and restored.
“Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him.” ~Psalm 62:5 NIV
- Trust in God to show up for YOU. Those who trust in Yahweh (the God who is always there) won’t remain in a place of dryness. Keep trusting God to be God in your life.
“But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.” ~Isaiah 40:31 KJV
- Be patient, yet expecting! Though it linger. Though it looks like nothing is working, we are reminded to hold tight and expect whatever God reveals to come to pass.
“For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.” ~Habakkuk 2:3 NIV
- Live in the light. You will be baited to surrender to the dark side, to sin, to cut corners, to curse God, but don’t succumb to the seduction of the evil one’s tactics. You don’t have to be an angel to know sin doesn’t feel good, nor does it wear well on the soul. Fight to stay in the light, which means doing what is right, even when no one is watching. And, if you fall or fail, be quick to repent!
“For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.” ~Ephesians 5:8-11
Like Peter, I was so close to stopping completely, pulling up my net to return home, and start a NEW THING. I know now, that would’ve been an emotional, and premature decision. How has this article encouraged or touched you? Please let us know in the comment section below.
With Love + Purpose,
P.S. I’ve made two decisions that I hope you’ll be inspired to take advantage of or share. First, the “Let’s Give Thanks!” 5 Day Fasting & Prayer Challenge is happening and you have until October 2 @ 4:59am EST to join us. CLICK HERE to RSVP!! Second, I’ve extended the early bird registration for the “Get Real About What You Want” Inner Circle until it reaches capacity (5 spaces available)! I don’t want anything to keep you from experiencing transformation in your heart or overall love life. Click here or the pic for registration details.